8 Simple and Affordable Homemade Lip Scrub Recipes for Beautiful, Hydrated Lips
With homemade lip scrub recipes, you can use ingredients usually readily available at home. This can help you save up to tens of dollars. If you can make it yourself, why buy it?
Why Use a Lip Scrub?
The outer skin on the lips results from cell division in the outermost layer, the epidermis. As a result, skin cells will emerge into the outer layer and produce a protein called keratin. This process usually occurs when the cells mature.
Keratin then hardens to protect the mouth from temperature changes and other disturbances. However, the skin of the lips is thinner than other parts of the body, making it more susceptible to damage. This is why lips are easily chapped, rough and sore.
Giving a scrub in the form of a cream or gel can be a solution to problematic lip skin. The function of a lip scrub is the same as a body scrub. However, this cream’s rough texture will exfoliate the outer layer if rubbed on the lips.
The scrub will remove dead skin cells on the lips to replace the hard layer on top with a new soft, smooth, and supple layer. As a result, when wearing lipstick, chapped lips will be slightly camouflaged, and all that is left are fine lines.
Choosing Ingredients to Make Homemade Lip Scrub
There are many ingredients available that we can use to make lip scrubs. In this post, we have selected eight homemade lip scrub recipes using easily available ingredients and usually readily available in your home.
Ensure your lip scrub ingredients include an exfoliator and a nourishing agent, the two essential elements of lip scrub. Your exfoliator is easier to apply to your lips when soothing or nourishing products provide a moisturizing basis. The two work together to hydrate and smooth your lips.
We can find both components mentioned above in sugar, honey, and petroleum jelly. They are the most used ingredients in home lip scrub recipes.
Granulated sugar is often used as a lip scrub because its crystalline form can exfoliate dead skin cells well.
Meanwhile, the skin benefits of honey come from proteins, enzymes, vitamins, and antibacterial and antifungal substances. These ingredients help speed up the process of dividing new lip skin cells. Not only that, but honey also functions as a natural humectant. Humectants are various substances that moisturize the skin. When applied to the skin, these natural ingredients penetrate and stay, moisturizing the lip skin for longer.
Meanwhile, petroleum jelly contains a mixture of paraffin, microcrystalline wax, and mineral oil. Petroleum jelly can prevent the body from losing water through the skin, so the skin does not become dry quickly.
Homemade Lip Scrub Recipes
There are many homemade lip scrub recipes for making lip scrubs. But in this article, we have selected only eight recipes with the following criteria: easy to get the ingredients, easy to make, and most importantly, the homemade lip scrub has the expected efficacy.
Granulated Sugar Lip Scrub
The granulated sugar lip scrub is our first choice. This lip scrub is the most widely used.
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- ½ tablespoon Petroleum Jelly
- Additional ingredients: coconut oil and olive oil to taste.
- We can add vanilla oil to make it fragrant.
How to make:
- Combine granulated sugar and honey, then stir to mix evenly and form lumps that are suitable to be used as a natural lip scrub;
- Add Petroleum Jelly, coconut oil, and olive oil. If you want a fragrant lip scrub, add vanilla oil to taste;
- Mix again until the ingredients become a coarse lump like sand and are not runny;
- Rub it on your lips until you feel the rough, hard skin peeling off. If you think it is peeling off, leave it on for one minute;
- Dry your lips with a damp towel. Apply lip moisturizer to reduce stinging.
Baking Soda Lip Scrub
We can also make a lip scrub from baking soda. This baking soda lip scrub is suitable for oily skin around your mouth because this scrub is non-greasy.
- 1 tablespoon Baking Soda
- ½ tablespoon Petroleum Jelly
How to Make:
- Combine Baking Soda with Petroleum Jelly and a little water. Stir the ingredients until they are evenly mixed and form a paste;
- Rub it on your lips using a washcloth in a gentle circular motion. Do it slowly until the dry and rough skin of the lips is exfoliated;
- Rinse with warm water, then pat dry. After that, apply a lip moisturizer.
Lemon Lip Scrub
One of the eight homemade lip scrub recipes uses lemon. Lemons are high in vitamin C and have antioxidants that repair damaged skin cells and brighten the skin. This lemon lip scrub is excellent for dry and chapped lips.
To make a lemon lip scrub, here are the ingredients needed:
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of castor oil
How to Make:
- Combine lemon juice and castor oil in one container, then stir until evenly mixed;
- Wet a washcloth with warm water and apply the lemon juice mixture above the lips. Apply gently and slowly. After that, let it sit for about 1 hour.
- After the skin on the lips begins peeling off, wash with warm water, dry, and apply a lip moisturizer.
Vitamin E Lip Scrub
Vitamin E is high in antioxidants and is a natural conditioner for the skin. In addition, the ingredients in vitamin E can help speed up the recovery of chapped and irritated lips.
- 1 teaspoon of vitamin E
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or olive oil
How to Make:
- Place all the ingredients above in 1 bowl, then stir until evenly mixed;
- Apply evenly on the surface of the lip skin. Apply slowly and gently. After that, let it sit for about 1 hour;
- Rinse with warm water, then apply lip moisturizer to keep the condition moist.
Coconut Oil Plus Honey Lip Scrub
The following one of homemade lip scrub recipes will use coconut oil, honey, and brown sugar as the main ingredients. Coconut oil is high in antioxidants and fatty acids, which help nourish the skin. Meanwhile, honey contains numerous natural healing compounds. Brown sugar, on the other hand, is a natural exfoliant that aids in the removal of dry and dead skin.
Ingredients we need to prepare:
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon warm water.
How to Make:
- First, mix coconut oil with honey;
- After that, gradually add brown sugar and warm water so that brown sugar dissolves easily;
- Stir all the ingredients until they are evenly mixed;
- Rub the mixture onto your lips in a circular motion for about five minutes, then rinse with warm water;
- If needed, apply a lip balm to maintain moisture levels on the lips.
Coffee Lip Scrub
Coffee can be used not only as a refreshing drink ingredient. Coffee also has properties to nourish and smooth the skin. A mixture of coffee grounds and honey is a powerful natural ingredient to exfoliate while maintaining the moisture of the lip and skin.
The ingredients needed are pretty easy:
- 1 tablespoon of coffee grounds
- 1 tablespoon of honey.
How to Make:
- Mix the coffee grounds and honey evenly. It’s even better if you mix them using a blender;
- Apply this scrub to your lips and massage in circular motions for about a minute;
- Let it sit for about thirty minutes;
- Rinse off with warm water.
Oatmeal Lip Scrub
Oatmeal can also be used as the main lip scrub ingredient. Its rough texture makes oatmeal the best and most effective scrub ingredient in absorbing and extracting the remnants of dirt on the skin’s surface.
Making an oatmeal lip scrub is relatively easy from all the homemade lip scrub recipes. Simply mix one tablespoon of oatmeal with three warm water or warm milk tablespoons. Then stir the mixture until evenly mixed.
After the ingredients are evenly mixed, apply on the surface of the lips gently until the lip scrub covers all the lip skin. After that, rinse with warm water, then dry. Finally, apply a lip moisturizer.
Salt Lip Scrub
Sea salt, commonly used to give a salty flavor to dishes, contains a good exfoliant. However, coconut oil and lavender oil are other lip scrub ingredients. Coconut oil is a moisturizer, while lavender oil gives lavender a fragrant scent. Therefore, the use of lavender oil is optional.
In making this sea salt lip scrub, as with other lip scrubs, all ingredients are mixed and stirred until evenly distributed. For this scrub, we need one teaspoon of sea salt, two teaspoons of coconut oil, and two drops of lavender oil (optional).
Once all the ingredients are evenly mixed, we can apply the scrub evenly on the skin of the lips. Apply in a circular motion for approximately 3-5 minutes.
After that, rinse with warm water, and dry with a washcloth. The use of this sea salt lip scrub can give the effect of red lips in a short time.
Which is the best of the eight homemade lip scrub recipes? All of them are simple, affordable, and effective lip scrubs. You can choose the easiest one, and the ingredients are readily available. After trying them all, you’ll know which recipe works best for your skin condition.
The Right Time to Use a Lip Scrub
The right time to do lip scrubbing is once a week. However, if your lips are pretty healthy or the problem is not severe, you can scrub once every two weeks as routine care.
It is best to do it while brushing your teeth at night. After using the scrub, remember to use a unique lip moisturizer to make your lips feel comfortable and ease the stinging on your lips.
If you have a problem with crepey skin, then you can use a homemade recipe: 6 AMAZING HOME REMEDIES FOR CREPEY SKIN: SAY GOODBYE TO SAGGY, WRINKLED SKIN!
How to Use Homemade Lip Scrub Recipes?
It is important to note that this homemade lip scrub lasts only one week. After one week, it is usually not good to use. For this reason, do not make a large amount of lip scrub. Instead, make just enough for one week’s worth of needs.
Use a clean and sterile container to store scrubs ready to use. Always keep them in the refrigerator. The storage time is only one week.
When you apply the scrub to your lips, you should use a clean and soft washcloth. When applying the scrub to your lips, do it in a circular motion while massaging. After leaving the scrub on your lips for a while, always rinse it off with warm water. Not with hot water, yes. After rinsing, always use lip moisturizer to reduce stinging on the lips.
You should take advantage of the use of lip scrub in the skincare routine. This step aims to remove the dead skin layer on the lips that causes the impression of chapping. Not only that, but scrubbing also makes lips softer and healthier so that they can absorb care products and cosmetics better.
By knowing these homemade lip scrub recipes, you can make your lip scrub so that you can routinely do lip care to have healthy and beautiful lips.