Honey and Cinnamon Help Acne: A Proven Home Remedy Recipe
Acne is usually not only a temporary cosmetic problem. Acne is a stressful and often painful permanent condition. Strong medications are sometimes prescribed against acne – both internally and externally. Some work pretty well but dry out the skin very badly. If you are looking for a natural way to cleanse the skin of acne, you will soon come across the honey-cinnamon mask. How do honey and cinnamon help acne, and what other natural measures are there for acne?
Honey and Cinnamon: Ancient Remedies for the Skin
For centuries, honey has been used as a medicinal remedy to treat dandruff, psoriasis (dandruff), burns, and fungal infections. Because of these positive influences on skin health, we can now find honey in many skincare products. The question is here, however, usually whether the added most minor quantities are sufficient for effect. With the cinnamon honey mask, this question is redundant since it consists almost only of honey.
Honey And Cinnamon For Acne
How do honey and cinnamon help acne? The main reason for using honey and cinnamon for acne is, of course, the antibacterial effect of the two components. This is because acne always involves the presence of certain bacteria, namely Propionibacterium acnes.
Although it is not considered the cause of acne, it settles in the course of the disease and further intensifies the existing inflammatory processes. In addition, the bacteria accelerate the formation of sebum and, in this way, promote further clogging of the skin pores, which aggravates acne.
Apart from using honey and cinnamon, we can use other home remedies for acne treatment, especially for pimples on the chin. Treatment of acne on the chin can be read in the article The Best Pimples On Chin Home Remedies.
How honey eliminates bacteria
Honey even has several properties that allow it to eliminate bacteria:
- Honey’s high sugar concentration prevents bacteria from multiplying uncontrollably;
- Honey creates an acidic environment on the skin where it is difficult for bacteria to thrive.
- Honey contains propolis (also called bee gum), known for its good antimicrobial effect. Propolis is the substance with which bees close small cracks and openings in the hive. Propolis acts not only against invading bacteria but also against fungi, parasites, and viruses, thus protecting the bee colony from diseases of various kinds.
How cinnamon helps the skin
Cinnamon also has an antimicrobial effect. According to an Indian study published in 2013 in the International Journal of Pharmaceutical Science Invention, cinnamon can kill or at least suppress Escherichia coli, staphylococci, and Candida albicans, among others. Cinnamon also has astringent properties. This causes the skin pores to contract, resulting in smoother and softer skin.
Honey and cinnamon help acne by using them together. Many people have used it, and it is proven to get rid of acne. How do we explain it from a scientific point of view?
Honey And Cinnamon From A Scientific Point Of View
How do honey and cinnamon help acne from a scientific point of view? The interaction of honey and cinnamon in the form of a face mask has yet to be studied, at least not according to recognized scientific methods. However, there are enough studies on the effect of the individual substances, but with varying results and success:
In April 2011, a paper appeared in the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine that showed that honey contained enzymes that form hydrogen peroxide, which in turn could now be responsible for the antibacterial effect of honey. However, not all types of honey have this property. Manuka honey, for example, has the appropriate enzymes. However, manuka honey naturally has an antibacterial effect via other mechanisms of action.
In contrast, in a February 2016 study (published in the journal BMJ Open), researchers showed that applying 90 percent Kanuka honey (Kanuka is a species of Leptospermum related to Manuka) with 10 percent glycerin – after washing with a bar of antibacterial soap – resulted in a better outcome for their acne in only 4 of 53 patients than cleaning with the soap alone.
In April 2016, it was learned in the Journal of Microbiology, Immunology, and Infection that some types of honey from Iran have antibacterial effects as sound as some antibiotics (sulfonamides). However, the other types of honey studied also showed sound effects, regardless of whether they came from Italy, Malaysia, Scotland, or New Zealand.
In May 2013, a review was published on cinnamon, for which the researchers examined and analyzed 70 different studies. They wrote that cinnamon has excellent wound-healing properties and an anti-aging effect on the skin.
Based on the results of the scientific studies above, which have revealed the essential benefits of honey and cinnamon for skin health, there is no doubt that honey and cinnamon help acne.
Therefore, it is worth discussing with the respective dermatologist a possible application of a honey-cinnamon mask as an accompanying measure in case of acne. The mask is prepared as follows.
The Honey Cinnamon Mask
Honey and cinnamon help acne by using masks for the face. In any case, choose natural organic honey that has been cold extracted, not heated. Do not use treated honey from the supermarket. Its enzymatic effect is zero due to the heat treatment.
The application times and methods of application of the honey-cinnamon mask are highly diverse so that each patient can choose the plan that suits them: Choose honey that is designated as medically effective, such as high-quality Manuka honey.
Take two tablespoons of honey and mix it with one tablespoon of cinnamon (Ceylon cinnamon) until a paste-like consistency is formed.
First, put a small blob on the back of your hand and wait 10 minutes to see if there is any allergic reaction, e.g., redness, swelling, itching – because both components (honey and cinnamon) are considered allergens for some people. If this does not apply to you, you can use the mask as follows:
- After cleansing your face, apply the honey-cinnamon mask to your skin with disinfected fingers or with a cotton pad – either directly on the individual pimples or flat over the entire face.
- You can leave the mask on for 10 minutes for the first application and extend the application time for subsequent applications. Some patients even leave the honey-cinnamon mask on the skin overnight. The most common exposure time is 30 minutes.
- Afterward, the skin is quickly washed off with warm water. Avoid excessive use of warm water, as it can dry the skin. Therefore, refresh your skin with a pour of cold water after washing off.
- The honey-cinnamon mask can be applied once or twice a week.
Other Naturopathic Measures For Acne
One of the main goals of acne treatment is to keep the skin clean. At the same time, it is essential to prevent it from drying out. Thus, it must be provided with sufficient moisture without clogging the pores. In addition to the honey-cinnamon mask, the following measures could be used in case of acne:
- Tea tree oil: use a five percent tea tree oil solution and apply it selectively to the pimples.
- Green tea extract: Apply a two-percent green tea extract lotion. This could be especially helpful for mild to moderate acne. You can make a green tea extract lotion yourself. For example, you can obtain green tea extract and a lotion base at Spinnrad, including a prescription.
- Alpha hydroxy acids are natural fruit acids that can help clear clogged pores and accelerate skin regeneration. Alpha hydroxy acids are naturally present, for example, in a papaya fruit extract, which is available from cosmetic ingredient manufacturers (also, e.g., Spinrad).
- Pure olive oil soap: In case of acne, you can try a pure olive oil soap for daily face cleansing, e.g., Aleppo soap, a pure olive oil soap without any additives. It is also very beneficial for psoriasis and eczema. The soap has a unique effect and leaves a pleasant feeling without dehydration.
Acne often bothers us and can cause feelings of discomfort. But now that we know that honey and cinnamon help acne, we don’t need to worry anymore. The use of honey and cinnamon for acne has gone through various scientific studies, so there is no doubt about its efficacy.